Note: Some of the information in this post from 2018 may be out of date. For our most up-to-date article on Skyrim VR mods, please visit our latest compilation list.
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR is finally here for Rift, Vive, and Windows VR owners! What was originally released as a PSVR timed-exclusive late last year has made the transition to the older, more powerful, and more feature-rich PC VR platforms. Anyone that’s ever played The Elder Scrolls games (or any Bethesda games for that matter) knows that modding is always a huge part of the experience on PC.
Unfortunately, Bethesda is not offering official mod support on Skyrim VR or Fallout 4 VR, but that isn’t stopping fans from tinkering anyway. As expected, it didn’t take long for the internet to figure out how to mod Skyrim VR, so we’re going to break it down for everyone that wants to do something magical like enhance the dragons in their Skyrim VR playthrough. Tyriel Wood posted this video over on Reddit, which was then summarized by Reddit user -Chell.
Here are the steps to get mods installed for Skyrim VR on PC, you’ll need to be a bit tech savvy:
- First, launch Skyrim VR and make sure it runs properly. Once confirmed, quit.
- Now on your PC navigate to:
Documents>My Games>Skyrim VRand open the
- Add the heading
[Launcher]at the bottom. Then, right under it, add the line:
Nexus Mod Manager
- If you haven’t already, we highly recommend that you download and install the Nexus Mod Manager (NMM) to organize and keep track of all your mods.
- Now, run NMM (administration mode may be required). Once it opens, cancel the auto search (“Stop Searching” button) at the bottom right of the screen.
- Next, click the “…” button right below where it says Skyrim Special Edition.
- Select the folder:
*(steam installation path)*\Steam\steamapps\common\SkyrimVR\
- Click the little check mark above and ignore the warning that it couldn’t find the .exe.
- Once you’ve selected the mods you want to install and downloaded them, you need to navigate to …
appdata\local\Skyrim Special Editionand copy the
plugins.txtto your clipboard.
- Now, navigate to
appdata\local\Skyrim VRand paste the plugins.txt document into this folder.
- Finally just close NMM and start adventuring!
Once again, you can check out the original Reddit thread for answers to a lot of common questions and troubleshooting about the whole process.
Unfortunately, this means there is still no mod support for Skyrim VR on PSVR at all. Also, you should focus on using Skyrim Special Edition mods, not mods for the old, original Skyrim. And finally, any mods that require the Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE) mod as a prerequisite are not going to work since the SKSE isn’t compatible at all. So yeah, that means no SkyUI. Sad day.
What are some of your favorite mods to use are in Skyrim VR? We’ll be making a list of some of our favorites soon this week. Let us know down in the comments below!