HP announced a super high-end backpack PC powered by some of NVIDIA and Intel’s high end chips to power wireless VR for serious commercial use cases.
The 10.2 pound PC includes a dock so it can be used as a high-end desktop workstation which can be removed and strapped on to become a wearable PC. It includes a pair of on-board batteries that can be swapped out so people can stay inside VR for long periods. There’s also an internal battery so you can swap out both batteries at once while the system is still running.
The system costs $3,295 and will be available starting in September.
Here’s a rundown of the features and specifications:
- Windows 10 Pro edition
- Full performance industrial design in a wearable form factor using a backpack harness. Reinforced chassis, top cover frame features customizable system health RGB LED indicator
- Docking station solution to convert the HP Z VR Compact Workstation from backpack to desktop use modes
- Workstation-caliber NVIDIA Quadro discrete graphics: NVIDIA Quadro P5200 with 16GB GDDR5 memory
- ISV certified to provide fast and reliable performance with workstation applications, including manipulation of 3D textures
- 7th generation Intel Core i7 with vPro technology (vPro optional)
- HP Performance Advisor for optimal configuration, compatibility and performance
- Two SODIMMs, for system memory up to 32 GB
- Supports multi-display, including up to four (4) displays, 2 direct from the HP Z VR Compact Workstation and additional 2 via docking solution
- One (1) Thunderbolt 3 port (supporting DisplayPort 1.2, USB 3.1, PCIe Gen 3 devices) on the new USB-C connector for high speed data/video/audio transfer support
- DTS Headphone:X and DTS Studio Sound audio optimized for high fidelity audio with immersive surround sound with deep, rich bass and crystal clear dialog without distortion at high volume
- Internal battery to support wearable harness use mode with hot swap external batteries: 6-cell (55 WHr)
- Wireless connectivity included: Intel Dual Band Wireless-M.2/PCIe AC 8265 802.11 AC/a/b/g/n (2×2) WiFi and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo adaptor (vPro)
- Dedicated storage slot: (1) M.2
- Security features including HP Client Security Manager, managed via single console.
- Designed to pass military standard Mil-Std-810G testing. MIL STD 810G testing is pending and is not intended to demonstrate fitness for U.S. Department of Defense contract requirements or for military use. Test results are not a guarantee of future performance under these test conditions. Damage under the MIL STD test conditions or any accidental damage requires an optional HP Accidental Damage Protection Care Pack.
- Low halogen
- The base factory ordered HP Z VR Backpack G1 Workstation includes the following items:
- HP Z VR Compact Workstation
- HP Z VR Backpack Dock
- HP 330W Smart AC Adapter
- HP Z VR Backpack Harness
- 2x HP Z VR Backpack External Battery
- HP Z VR Backpack External Battery Charger
- HP 180W Smart AC Adapter
- HTC Vive Combo Cable